At OMV Petrom, we regularly collaborate with the local communities to prevent or reduce risks and other direct or indirect consequences of our operations. We aim to balance the need for long-term solutions with the day-to-day realities that require immediate decision-making and short-term action. We prioritize concerns at the local level, take into consideration regional differences, and take appropriate measures to ensure the long-term, sustainable development.
A series of internal procedures and standards are in place to ensure our community stakeholder engagement and actions:
- The OMV Petrom Group Environmental Management Standard defines the process of carrying out Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs). Preventive and mitigation measures as well as the monitoring program to ensure implementation of the proposed measures are documented in an Environmental and Social Management Plan for each new development project. The final ESIA report is submitted to the local regulator or lender (whichever is applicable) for review, public disclosure and approval.
- The OMV Petrom Code of Conduct is a mandatory standard of conduct for everyone who represents us. It recognizes OMV Petrom’s social and environmental responsibilities within our sphere of influence.
- The Community Relations and Community Development (CRCD) Handbook lays out the procedure for the required management process to be followed in order to enable OMV Petrom Group organizations to maintain the social license to operate. In order to promote corporate success, CRCD focuses on developing and upholding open and trustworthy relationships with community stakeholders. The CRCD supports the development of community ability to deal with problems, seize opportunities, discover common ground, and reconcile divergent interests. Community development is how we manage positive change.
- The Sponsoring Strategy ensures the transparency on the effective use of financial resources provided as sponsorship, both in cash and in kind. It represents the Standard for implementing the sponsorship process at OMV Petrom, creating the foundation for strategic sponsorship and the set of guidelines for sponsorship activities. Every project that OMV Petrom sponsors must support UN Sustainable Development Goals and must adhere to our Code of Conduct for business.
- The Sustainability Directive is our internal documentation of processes and accountabilities, which includes Social Responsibility, Community Relations, Development & Social Investments, Human Rights, Volunteering, and NGO Relations. We run our business ethically, preserving the environment and improving the communities where we do business.
- During regular business, OMV Petrom signs a number of contracts that govern the compensation to landowners for the company’s use of their lands. This process it is governed by a working instruction and the rates agreed in these contracts are market rates, commensurate to the location, land characteristics and possible uses etc. In 2022, in relation to this process, there were no concerns or other notable aspects that require mentioning. Furthermore, in 2022, there were no cases of resettlement created due to the local business operations.
As such, we bring our contribution to the UN Sustainable Development Goals related to wellbeing of our communities:
- SDG 1 – target 1.4 – through the series of internal procedures and standards for our stakeholder engagement and actions implemented
- SDG 3 – target 3.3 – through our health initiatives within our communities
- SDG 4 – target 4.7 – through initiatives addressing education, environment and vulnerable people
- SDG 8 – targets 8.5 and 8.6 – through stable workplace initiatives, actions in the community and youth programs
- SDG 13 – target 13.1 – through our private project of national interest dedicated to energy efficiency in buildings